TRICELL
October 20, 2019, 02:20:59 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Resident Evil Dark Side Chronicles: Concept Art NEW!

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

IGN on Versus Mode

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: IGN on Versus Mode  (Read 63 times)
Albert Wesker
Tricell's President
Tricell's Head Researcher

Albert Wesker - S.T.A.R.S. Alpha Team Leader

View Profile
« on: April 11, 2009, 02:22:34 am »

http://xboxlive.ign.com/articles/970/970729p1.html

Versus includes two modes, Slayers and Survivors, with free-for-all and 2-on-2 team options. Both game types are modified versions of Mercenaries Mode, already included on the retail disc. Neither seems particularly well thought out and both use the same maps and scoring system as in Mercs Mode.

Slayers has players trying to earn as many points in Mercenaries Mode with three others vying for points as well. You rack up points, smash time bonuses to extend the playtime for everyone, and discover combo bonuses, just like in Mercenaries, but there is a twist. And that twist is the other players. Your opponents can shoot you. Damage costs you points and death costs you even more. Fortunately, you can do the same to them. Survivors Mode also has zombie enemies, but you score bonus points for shooting the other players.

See Versus Mode in action.These aren't bad idea and they do add some nice little wrinkles to a game of Mercenaries. But there are some problems. Even though this is essentially Mercenaries Mode, none of my unlocked characters carried over, so I basically had to start from scratch. And while it's cool for characters to have different abilities and weapons when in a game that's just solo play or co-op, the different unlockable characters can add too great an advantage in competitive play. Wesker, for example, can zip forward ten feet for a melee attack. Awesome to use against zombies, but unbelievably cheap when it's used against another player. The characters aren't balanced for competitive play. It just seems completely lazy, like Capcom thought "add two more players and charge $5" instead of "how can we make an incredible competitive experience?"

Versus is a bad idea for a game with RE5's control scheme. This isn't a cover shooter like Gears, where players are taking advantage of flanking their opponents or where you can use caution to keep yourself alive. RE5 is a stand-in-the-open-and-shoot-zombies type of game. And it doesn't work well when other players start shooting at you. I came across some laughable moments where all four players are just standing facing each other shooting one another in the face and hoping to get in a kill shot. It makes RE5 look dumb. And that's coming from the biggest RE5 fan in the office.

Can I say just as I predicted?  Roll Eyes
Jennie do you agree on this? I played it at a friend's house, and it is funny sure, we laughed a lot, but very dumb and absolutely out of contest considering that you must stop and aim to kill your opponent  Sad
Report Spam   Logged

Time to take off sunglasses and fight seriously...

Leonsfangirl
Tricell's Head Supervisor
Tricell's Head Researcher

X Box live I.D = jen1zzle

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009, 04:04:42 am »

http://xboxlive.ign.com/articles/970/970729p1.html

Versus includes two modes, Slayers and Survivors, with free-for-all and 2-on-2 team options. Both game types are modified versions of Mercenaries Mode, already included on the retail disc. Neither seems particularly well thought out and both use the same maps and scoring system as in Mercs Mode.

laughable moments where all four players are just standing facing each other shooting one another in the face and hoping to get in a kill shot. It makes RE5 look dumb.

Jennie do you agree on this?   

Right, a HUGE mistake lies here, Survivors is not a modified Mercenaries mode, the point scoring system is different (You DON'T get points for taking out any Majini which is THE WHOLE POINT IN MERCENARIES am i right fellas? ) the maps although similar are different, The weapons you get for some characters are also different.

The Above happens when you get 4 idiots play! i am not idiot and would therefore hide and toss a grenade in and finish them all off, what makes Re5 look dumb is idiots playing it and people like who wrote this not getting the BASIC facts right!

No i don't, and i will be updating the review i did to include the point scoring system and the weapon differences for Survivors mode.

Report Spam   Logged

I GOT THE HANCANNON !!!!!!!!!!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum